Drag Color Chips
Easy to use soluble dye packet. For all natural fabrics plus many polyesters and nylons! Dyes 2 to 3 pounds of fabric. (1-1.3 kg.) Keep in mind that for lighter colors, you can dye more fabric, and for black or darker colors, double the amount of iDye and use the stove top method to keep the heat constant.
Which Dye Should I Use?
• for 100% polyester or nylon use iDye Poly **IMPORTANT - some polyesters and nylons just won't take dye - we don't know why. Most will, but some won't. You just have to TEST!
• for polyester or nylon/natural blends use iDye and the corresponding or closest color of iDye Poly.
For best results:
• Pre-wash garment to remove any sizings, softeners, finishes, grease and oils, etc. (Synthrapol Fabric Detergent works well for this.)
• Use the stove top method and double the iDye for dark colors (black, brown or olive) or very intense colors (bright yellow, reds, etc.) Items dyed with the stove top method will be more washfast than items dyed in the washing machine because you can get more heat. Also use the stove top method for iDye Poly, or when dyeing blends.
• For deep colors on silk/cotton blends Jacquard recommends using the stove top method and keeping the heat up as high as the material will allow. The addition of vinegar or salt is not crucial when dealing with a blend as the heat is the trick with these.
• Use constant agitation for uniform color.
• Use Jacquard iDye Fixative to improve wash fastness, color retention and reduce bleeding.
• Wash finished garments with like colors in cool water.
Note: utensils and pots for dyeing should not be used for food.
Top load washing machine method for natural fabrics:
1. Fill washing machine with JUST enough HOT water for the fabric to move freely. Important not to use too much water, but also for the fabric to move freely.
2. Add the iDye soluble dye. Agitate for 30 seconds to dissolve packet. The water in a washing machine won't be as hot as on the stove top, so make absolutely sure the packet and dye are COMPLETELY dissolved before adding any clothing or fabric.
3. Add one cup (237 ml.) of salt for cotton, linen and rayon. Add 1/3 cup (78 ml.) of white vinegar for silk and wool. (Although you might want to do wool the stove top way so it doesn't felt!) Make sure everything is thoroughly mixed and/or dissolved.
4. Add pre-wetted fabric.
5. Extend the dyeing time by resetting the wash cycle before the rinse cycle begins.
6. The longer the dyeing time, the darker the color and better the fixation. Unless you want a really light color, we suggest a minimum of 30 minutes agitation. Run it through a rinse cycle and then wash the garment(s) in a regular cycle with HOT water and a mild detergent and dry.
Front load washing machine method:
Follow top load method, except add everything to beginning of cycle.
Stove top method:
1. Fill a stainless steel or enamel pot with just enough hot water for the fabric to move freely. Turn on medium to high heat.
2. Add the iDye (for natural fibers) or iDye Poly (for Polyester or Nylon) soluble dye packet to water and stir.
2a. For iDye Poly; open the included Color Intensifier packet and empty into dyepot.
3. Add pre-washed wet garments or fabric and raise temperature to a simmer.
4. Add one cup (237 ml.)of salt for cotton, linen and rayon. Add 1/3 cup (78 ml.) of white vinegar for silk and wool. Avoid pouring directly onto fabric.
5. Maintain temperature and stir frequently for ½ hour (or up to an hour for darker colors or iDye Poly).
6. Rinse, then wash the garment with HOT water and a mild detergent and dry.
For Polyester or Nylon/natural fiber blends:
1. Choose an iDye Poly color closest to the iDye color you are dyeing and add both packets to dye bath.
2. Follow stove top method. Allow dye mixture to come to a simmer for ½ to 1 hour. Since you are using 2 packets, keep in mind you could dye twice as much fabric.
Here is a handy how-to video Jacquard has put together for those that love heat transfer and iDye Poly!
If you'd rather speak with a human, please call toll-free from anywhere in the U.S. or Canada M-F 8am to 5pm PST
Copyright © 2013 Dharma Trading Co. All Rights Reserved.
Drag and Drop chips to the Palette first.