The Light Fabric (Transparent) colors allow underlying colors to show through. They work especially well on white or light colored fabrics. They are thinner than a lot of fabric paints, but not as thin as so called "silk paints". You can hand paint with them even on the finest of fabrics as they are one of the softest paints we carry (have very little "hand"). When thinned further with water, these are great for the Serti Technique on silk, tie-dye, spray bottle effects, batik, splatter techniques, and sun-painting (heliographic art). The fluorescent colors have the added benefit of glowing under blacklight - great for "scarf dancing"!
The other type of Setacolor, the Dark Fabric Colors (Opaque) cover underlying colors completely, and are use-for-anything-on-anything-in-any-way-you-want fabric paints. Beautiful and versatile.
Setacolor Light Fabric colors are the paint of choice for Heliographic fabric art - yes, SUN ART. Lay your fabric down outside and sponge on diluted Light Fabric Setacolor in whatever color patterns you like. Then lay feathers, lace, netting, leaves, precut cardboard, flowers or anything on the fabric and let the sun do the rest. The objects you put on the fabric will leave their impressions. Check out our Sun Painting Start Page for details on sun painting.
Setacolor can also be used for silk screening or stenciling when thickened with 2% to 5% thickener. Check out the Setacolor Silk Screen Stencils here.
Drying: Air dry for at least 1 hour before heat fixing.
Fixing: Three possibilities : with an iron (cotton position), for 5 minutes, on the reverse side of the fabric; in the oven, for ~10 minutes at 300°F (150°C) (stabilized temperature) or 25 min at 250°F, or curing for several days after mixing in our No Heat Fixative.
Caring: after fixing, the colors resist machine washing at 40°C (100°F) and dry cleaning.
- Lightening Medium is used to lighten Setacolor Flowable Fabric Paints without making them thinner.
- Thickener is used to to thicken Setacolor Flowable Fabric Paints.
- Expandable "Puff" Medium gives you a puffy, raised effect with Setacolor Flowable Fabric Paints.
- Finishing Gold & Silver is used to add a beautiful layer of shimmering, glittering gold or silver to the underlying color.
- "No Heat" Fixative makes your paints lightfast and washfast without heat setting. (for handpainting. Traditional heat setting better when sunpainting.)