- Shake the Bubble Jet Set well & pour solution into flat pan.
- Saturate fabric in solution for 5 min.
- Hang dry till fabric is dry and stiff.
- Iron fabric to smooth side of the freezer paper. - *the shiny side* (cut to size to fit your printer - cut fabric slightly smaller so there is a border of paper around it - otherwise it could jam in your printer, normal paper size is 8 1/2" wide).
- Print on treated fabric & let sit for at least 30 min for best results.
- Handwash (or machine wash on a delicate cycle only) fabric in cold water and Bubble Jet Set Rinse or Kieralon: Dyer's Detergent to remove any excess ink. Bubble Jet Set Rinse does have some additional "fixative" properties in addition to the detergent, and does seem to provide the best results.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- With answers from the manufacturer.
1. WILL THIS PRODUCT WORK ON MY PRINTER?
This product will work with any printer including HP printers that uses inkjet or bubblejet technology and DYE based ink. You simply soak the fabric in the bubble jet set solution for 5 minutes --- Allow to dry. Then iron treat fabric to the shiny side of freezer paper. Once this is completed simply feed fabric through your printer exactly like a sheet of paper and you are done! Experiment, because all the different printer's inks can give different results, some fading less, and some fading more, with washing.
2. WILL THIS PRODUCT DAMAGE MY PRINTER?
NO. This product will not affect the printer because when dry, it does not actually contact the printer in any way.
3. IS THIS PRODUCT FLAMMABLE?
No. It is a non flammable product because of its water based contents. Also, we recommend you do not freeze the product but if you allow to thaw naturally it will maintain the basic formula. The product will not create harmful vapors and in most cases you will not even smell the product once opened. It contains less than .001% formaldehyde and by law it is not necessary to list if under .1% by volume.
4. DO I NEED TO PRE WASH THE FABRIC?
This product was tested with many different fabrics and there is no indications that you need to pre wash the fabric before applying the bubble jet set solution. However, many crafters state they have seen better results with this process but it is not proven that this is true.
5. WHAT TYPE OF FABRIC WORK THE BEST?
This product was designed to work with 100% cottons and 100% silks. It may appear to work on other fabrics but you will have a much greater color lost if you use any fabrics other than 100% cotton and 100% silks.
6. HOW MUCH COLOR LOSS SHOULD I EXPECT?
This is very important to understand because the results may vary depending on what type of printer you may have. We have tested many different brands and have found that Cannon gives the least amount of color lost compared to any other printer. However, this also depends on what mode you print in because if your printer has the capability to put more ink on the fabric then your image will appear to be brighter. The more ink the printer can put on the fabric the better the picture will be. Not all printers have this capability and it assumes it is printing on paper. The fabric will absorb most of the ink and it will appear to have faded but in reality the fabric is heavier than paper. Washing in Bubble Jet Set Rinse gives the best results if you have to wash it. IN ALL CASES WE HAVEN'T FOUND MORE THAN A 10% COLOR LOSS FOR ALL PRINTERS using DYE based inks. This product does NOT affect PIGMENT based inks, which fade every time you wash them and are not really suitable for clothing.
7. SHOULD THE COLOR LOOK DIFFERENT ON FABRIC?
Yes. The color will look different on fabric because of the density of the fabric. This process is no different than dyeing a shirt or a pair of pants. It is important to know that colors will look deeper on fabric and appear lighter on paper. Also, some detergents may have an effect on the inks. results may vary.
8. DOES THIS PRODUCT MAKE THE FABRIC STIFF?
No and Yes. The fabric will be stiff when the treated fabric dries but when you wash in cold water the fabric will return to its natural feel and texture.
9. CAN I REUSE THE PRODUCT?
Yes. You can reuse this product until the last drop is gone. It is important to remember to put the top on the bottle after you have finished using it. Any unused Bubble jet Set may be returned to the bottle!
10. WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO DRY THE FABRIC WHEN TREATED?
When you soak your fabric in the Bubble Jet Set Solution the best way to allow the fabric to dry is to HANG DRY the fabric. However, many have found great results allowing the fabric to dry on a towel.
11. DO I NEED TO WAIT THE FULL 24 HOURS BEFORE WASHING?
Only with the Original formula. The new Bubble Jet Set 2000 will dry in 30 minutes!
12. CAN I BLOW DRY THE FABRIC WHEN TREATED?
Yes. If you are in a rush and desire to dry faster. Simply blow dry the treated fabric (before printing) and in 3-5 minutes you are ready to iron to freezer paper and printing.
13. IS THE PRODUCT TOXIC OR DANGEROUS?
This product is to be treated as a common house hold product. It can be opened in the house and you do not need any special precautions to use the product. But we recommend the use of rubber gloves and open windows or other adequate ventilation when using. The product is 85% water and contains many of your local laundry detergent ingredients in it.
14. CAN I WASH FINISHED FABRIC IN THE WASHING MACHINE?
Yes, on the most delicate cycle in cold water, with the Bubble Jet Set Rinse ideally, or you can substitute Kieralon. Plain water washing may actually cause more bleeding or fading.
15. WILL THE PRINTED DESIGN FADE WITH CONTINUOUS WASHING?
YES YES YES. Remember, this process is just like dyeing a shirt with a direct dye, as opposed to a Fiber Reactive Dye (which actually chemically reacts with the fiber and is the ONLY dye that does not fade), and if you wash that shirt over and over again you will start to see fading in the colors! Printers that print soda ash treated fabric with Fiber Reactive Dye are very expensive and specialized, but the ONLY way to print from a computer and have it never fade.
16. WHAT IS THE SHELF LIFE OF THE PRODUCT?
The product was tested for shelf life for 1 full year.
17. WILL HEAT OR COLD AFFECT THE PRODUCT?
Freezing is not recommended but it has no effect on the chemical compound. Extreme heat is being tested!
18. DOES THE WEIGHT OF THE FABRIC EFFECT PRINT QUALITY?
Yes, the weight of the fabric has a big effect on the quality. In most cases the heavier the fabric the better the quality.(this also varies with each printer)!
19. HOW MANY FABRIC SHEETS CAN I MAKE OUT OF 1 - 32 OZ BOTTLE?
It takes less than 1/2 an ounce to make 1 fabric sheet. But in general between 50 and 60 sheets!
20. FABRIC PRINTING VS. PAPER PRINTING
Paper printing will have a different effect on ink than fabric printing. The colors will appear to be different but in reality it is because of the change from paper to fabric.